Wednesday, June 21, 2006

We read to know that we are not alone. C.S> Lewis

Reading is one of my favourite things to do. Next to scrapbooking, I read virtually everything that I can get my hands on. I just finished a book called "A Slant of the Sun" It was a moving book about a mother who has to deal with the fact that her child has just been diagnosed with autism. It looks inside the mother to see her struggle to accept the diagnosis of her son, while still attempting to find the best therapies that will perhaps teach him to speak and to learn. It isn't necessarily a book for parents of autistic children, but also for anyone who wants to get a small glimpse into the life of a family with autism.

A friend emailed me a list of the top 1000 books you need to read before you die. Not sure where she got it from, but I have decided that I am going to read through this list if I can. I have perused through the list and realized there are about half a dozen that I have read that are wonderful reads so I am sure there are more to come. Some of my favourite books from this list are: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, The Poisonwood Bible, Memoirs of a Geisha, A Prayer for Owen Meany, Beloved, Schindler's Ark(original title of Schindler's List), To Kill a Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies, The Little Prince, Of Human Bondage and Tess of the D'Urbervilles.

If you have the desire or the time, I challenge you to read through this list. Post here and let me know - I can give you a copy of the list. I think there is NOTHING better than to read a good book. It takes you to a different world if only for a little while. Even though life is extremely busy and time is extremely short, never forget to take the time for yourself to relax. If I didn't have that, I would have been locked up a LOOOOONG time ago. Kay, I am coming down off my soapbox now. Hope you all have a wonderful day!

1 comment:

Heather M. said...

I love to read too! And it is so good to read! Now I'm starting to get hooked on kids books!!!! Must renew library membership!